Friday, February 17, 2006

Mormons v. Religion

Intelligent design isn't the biggest clash between science and religion just the biggest clash among the popular ones. However the Mormans face a problem which strikes at the core of their religion and it will be interesting to see how the matter settles. Mormon teaching is that basically the Jew's blessing came to the Indians and then to the Mormans (this is based on just my scanty knowledge and all the stuff you pick up from reading Orson Scott Card). However mDNA analysis which is unique in that there is no change from generation to generation but is only passed down from the mother. This shows no Jewish mDNA in Indian blood. To non-Mormans this is hardly surprising but this is close to finding Jesus and Joseph's DNA and finding that they matched. However there are three ways they can try to deal with issue. You can say scientific and religious truth are separate and unrelated. This has been tried against evolution but you still have the issue of why G-d switched the facts just to trick us. There is the method tried by the evangelists and by some of the more right-wing (ultra-religious is the term used but really they don't see themselves as ultra-religious just as religious as required) religious Jews this says that all of this is a pack of lies and that the scientists are atheists who don't know the truth. Also there is a third way which is a reinterpretation of the text based on present knowledge. Not knowing Mormon scripture I do not know how they can do this but this is the option which gives the best religious way of dealing with problems and allows the members to function in face of evidence used against their religion.

3 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sick about hearing about this. Who cares? go to www.mormon.org if you want accuate info on the church.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I wasn't criticizing the Mormons as an Orthodox Jew I don't like to see religions trashed. The fact is thaqt if this stuff is reliable it poses a challenge. My post is about how they'll deal with the challenge not on whether it is valid or not.

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what, why is it that so many people jump to conclusions about Mormons...
Mike, All these large words will end up confusing people...for example, me, for one.
The truth is, Mormons take on alot, you see. Because people are cruel, they post lies, assault them, get bullied... Believe me I know... What I'm trying to get across to you is don't judge a book by it's cover. I have a personal testimony that Joseph Smith was a true Prophet of God and he recieved direct revelation of the truth of religion. If you don't believe me, don't. But if you don't, don't make a scene and try to turn others against me and the religion I support.
But enough blabbering from me.
I respect the fact that you don't like trashing peoples religions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home